This week I’ve been experimenting with okra. Now, I’m no Southern gal. In fact, even Taylor Swift is too country for me, but okra is neat and I’ve enjoying frying it and stewing it.
But more on that later.
I mentioned a little while ago that I had signed up to be a Daring Cook. Well, this month is my first challenge and I’m excited about it. Until that post goes up (the post regulations/dates are very specific), here’s a different kind of challenge. Hopefully my answers will entertain you, even if they don’t make the cut.
1. Why do you want to compete in this challenge?
My life would be complete if I could always find a way to get my ingredients to come to me.
2. Limitations of time/space notwithstanding, whose kitchen would you like to spend the day in & why? Julia Child, Thomas Keller, Ferran Adria, James Beard, Marie-Antoine Careme, or The Swedish Chef?
Julia Child. Not only was she hilarious, but she let herself make mistakes which is something I’m really good at.
3. What morsel are you most likely to swipe from family & friends’ plates when they aren’t looking?
French fries. There is something so irresistible about someone else’s french fries. Especially the crispy ones. Even if I don’t want french fries, I WILL TAKE YOUR FRENCH FRIES!!
4. Sum your childhood up in one meal.
Tender sliced brisket, apple and cheese kugel, pearl onions and peas in cream sauce, my grandma’s secret house salad recipe. Wow- I didn’t realize until this moment that my entire childhood was actually one long Jewish holiday.
5. The one mainstream food you can’t stand?
I really dislike bell peppers of all colors. (Red are the worst.) I mean, if you soak anything in olive oil long enough, it’s probably gonna be tolerable, but raw bell peppers make me cringe.